Thursday, March 17, is the American Values Luncheon at the BJCC and we hope that you have made plans to attend.
At the same time, our annual Friends of Scouting giving campaign is in full swing. If you are not familiar with the campaign, contributions will make sure we can deliver a strong annual program for all of our Scouts. It costs the council approximately $275 per year to keep a child in Scouting. We are working to upgrade and enhance all the Councils camps so we can provide a great experience for our youth and to ensure that the program is meeting the needs and challenges faced by today’s youth.
Boy Scouts provides the best opportunity to develop future leaders, instill core values, and teach the importance of integrity and self-discipline. Scouting also has a great impact on our community, through service projects, and volunteering for local events. Investing in Boy Scouts is an Investment in our Future.
Scouting is not just about hiking and camping. Scouting is relevant to today’s youth. Scouting provides leadership in:
- Workforce Development through our co-ed Career Exploring and National Youth Leadership Training programs.
- Healthy Living, which teaches the importance of proper diet and physical fitness while camping, hiking, swimming, or cycling.
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) education through merit badges like Computers, Electricity, Engineering, and Robotics.
- Environmental Stewardship, which is an integral part of every level of Scouting through “Leave No Trace” programs and advancement opportunities in Soil and Water Conservation, Forestry, Wildlife Conservation, and Geology to name a few.
- Civic Engagement through service projects like Scouting for Food, the largest single-day food drive in the country, which stocks the shelves of your community’s food pantries during their most critical time of need.
So, How do you donate? Go to 1BSA.org, click the DONATE NOW button at the very top center of the page. It will take you to second page to complete your gift of $100, $50 or whatever you will provide to support Scouting. It’s actually quite simple to do, and of course you can write a check if this is more convenient (payable to Greater Alabama Council, BSA) and mail it to: Greater Alabama Council, 516 Liberty Parkway, Birmingham, AL 35242.
Your support has and will go a long way to helping youth become Tomorrow’s Leaders. Our goal is to wrap up the campaign in April so that we may focus our efforts in delivering the values of Scouting. Please let me know of any questions you may have. Thank you in advance for your consideration and support.
If you’ve already made a pledge – THANK YOU!!!