NYLT is a six day, five night course that gives Scouts BSA, Sea Scouts, Explorers, and Venturers methods, skills and experiences to become better leaders in their Unit. The course centers around the concepts of what a leader must be, what they must know, and what they must do – with a clear focus on how to accomplish all this. NYLT courses are limited to 48 participants.
To attend, participants must hold , or intend to hold, a unit leadership position to be eligible for the course, and satisfy the following requirements:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting Unit.
- As of March 1, 2023, Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Not be 18 years old before the last day of the course if Scouts BSA or 21 years old if a Venturer or Sea Scout.
- Once registered, the Scout’s Unit Leader will need to email a recommendation letter.
- Scouts will need to provide a current Annual Health and Medical Record Form (BSA 680-001 Parts A, B, and C) including a physician’s signature.
- Scouts will need to provide proof that they completed their ILST/C/S for their respective Unit type.
- Participants are required to wear the Field/Class A Uniform for their position in Scouting during the course.
2023 Summer Course
June 25-30 @ Camp Westmoreland
Scoutmaster: Rob Spiegel (GACNYLT232@gmail.com)